Artist statement edit for Dec. exhibition more news soon!

            Crawl, hop or fly....the critters around us.  I created this series out of an appreciation and respect for things often hidden, overlooked, or rarely seen.  Creatures like frogs, insects and birds play an important role in our environment.  These creatures live simple lives with not so simple features: claws, big eyes, multiple legs and bright plumage are just a few.  Their physical uniqueness and beauty drew me to each animal individually.
             I like my Art to be visually accessible to the the average viewer.  For this reason I combine representational imagery with graphic and abstract themes.  The ability for anyone to appreciate my work is important to me because I don't think an extensive education should be a prerequisite for enjoying Art. 
            My process frequently involves using aerosols (spray paint) and acrylic paints.  After choosing my subject, I create a world for them to live in on the canvas or panel.  Frequently graphic in nature, the canvas and all it's lines, tones, and shades are a direct emotional response to the critter in question.  For example the flutter of a birds wings or a tree frog's chirp could be visualized by a series of broken dots or lines, like a morse code of sorts.  I take into account all aspects of the animals being: where it lives, what it looks like, how it flourishes, what it eats (and what eats it.), it's mating habits and the sounds it makes , just to name a few.     The critters around us play a vital role in our world as a whole and should be recognized as such. I hope my Artwork reflects this and inspires a period of simple reflection on the part of the viewer.

Zachary Meunier 2010

Comments

  1. Sounds like it will be an amazing collection. Looking forward to the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment